Sunday, August 29, 2010

Fruit Cobbler




Here in Internet-Land, there are some recipes floating around for really beautiful, classy cobblers.  This ain't one of them.  If this blog were a Nigella Lawson cookbook, this recipe would go in the "trashy" chapter. 

But, this little cobbler, however humble, is delicious.  And it is healthy (well, healthier than most), and it is quick, and it is cheap.  And I like it. 

But you see those day-glow cherries up there?  Yup.  From a can.  I have no shame about this.  I am not even sure that it should actually be called a cobbler, myself being untrained in the classification of buckles, cobblers, crumbles, etc. 

All of these things aside, this is a nice light dessert.  It's not too sweet.  The crust is moist and comforting.  This literally will take you under 15 minutes to get into the oven.  And it has those little day-glow cherries.  I love day-glow cherries.  I actually used to make this recipe fairly often when I was in high school...with peaches (from a can, of course!).  But I can't convince my husband to eat peach cobbler, even though he ate all the peaches in the fruit cocktail cobbler I used as a substitute.  And went back for seconds (I saw that, honey!).  I think we should all forgive him for coming between me and the canned peaches, since it is thanks to him that we have here a cobbler with day-glow cherries.

Fruit Cobbler
serves 6

Ingredients:
1/4 cup light butter, melted
2 16-oz cans fruit cocktail in light syrup, undrained (I used a Triple Cherry Fruit Cocktail in Light Cherry Syrup)
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup plus 2 Tbsp sugar
1/4 cup skim milk

Directions:
1. Place the melted butter in the bottom of a 9 inch square baking dish.  Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
2. Drain the fruit cocktail, reserving 1/2 cup of the syrup.
3. Mix together the flour, baking powder, and sugar.  Add the reserved syrup and the milk.  Mix well to combine.
4. Pour the batter directly over the light butter in the dish.  Spoon the fruit cocktail on top.  Do not stir.  Place into the pre-heated oven.  Bake for 35-40 minutes.  Serves well hot, warm, or cold.  Whipped cream or ice cream would not hurt. 

10 comments:

  1. The cobbler looks really fresh and delicious. I love making cobbler... it's not only quick but really taste wonderful. I will try your version soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH!!I love fruit cobbler..this looks delicious:)

    http://usmasala.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum, I love fruit dessert - thay are my fav

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am such a fan of fruit cobbler...and I love how you were able to use canned fruit here. So simple and affordable. Great recipe love!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Worth to try...very tempting recipe..!

    ReplyDelete
  6. YUM! this cobbler looks awesome and soo easy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it...this looks completely delicious! And we don't think this is in the trashy chapter...and even if it was...we still want it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. hehe I had to chuckle at what you said about it going into the Trashy chapter. That happens to be my very favourite chapter of hers! :P

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think it looks great! Quick and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOL, the trashy chapter! Love your rendition of a cobbler.
    ~ingrid

    ReplyDelete