Friday, August 6, 2010

Sneak Peek at Next Week

This may not be the coolest thing I ever 'fessed up to...but the Dishwasher and I are big fans of meal planning.  And I mean, big fans.  As in...we plan our menu for the week ahead on Thursday night, and I look forward to Thursday all week (and not because of the Office)!  Seriously, though, it helps us save a ton of dough on groceries (we spend $50-$65 each week for two people), and I get to try a lot of fun new recipes.  Back in the day, when I was fun and single, I used to spend $90 at the store...when I remembered to go!  It turns out cooking is cheaper than a diet of LeanCuisines and KashiGoLean bars. 

Basically, we go through the grocery store circulars each week and pick the store with the most things we like on sale.  Usually I have at least one flashback to memories of my grandfather reading each circular in detail and shouting about the price of OJ.  (It is good to have things in common with your grandpa, no?)  Then, I go through three or four of my cookbooks, and jot down a list of possibilities.  Then, the Dishwasher and I each pick two meals.  We usually plan out Monday through Thursday nights.  As for the other three nights, we try to catch up on leftovers, eat out, play Iron Chef in the pantry, or score an invite out to dinner with our parents.  (I mean, we totally want to see our parents, really, free food has nothing to do with it!) 

Here are this week's picks:
-- Grilled Pineapple with Teryiaki Chicken and Brown Rice
-- Spaghetti with Summer Squash and Peppers
-- Pinto Bean Burgers with Chipotle Ketchup and a Slaw
-- La Bamba Rice with Fried Eggs

Have a good weekend everyone! 

5 comments:

  1. I love planning meals! I typically will find recipes I like the week before and don't look as much as the circulars but I should!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've tried to planned the meal a head, too. But it is very difficult sticking to the plan. I think planning make the meal look more balanced and healthy or even more economical :) I will have to learn to do this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't forget the part where Grandma has to drive Grandpa to 5 different stores so he can shout about the OJ prices in person to the OJ!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love meal planning also...so I think you're super cool! I only shop at Whole Foods and Trader Joe's because they are consistently cheaper than the local supermarket. The beauty of living in NYC. Sounds like a great week ahead foodwise!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a huge meal planner! I find it to be really fun. I need to stick to it more often though. :) I'm suddenly craving pinto bean burgers. Mmm...

    ReplyDelete