Thursday, September 23, 2010
Double Panini Night: Tomato, Basil, and Mozzarella Panini AND Pizza Panini
adapted from Cooking Rocks! Rachael Ray 30-Minute Meals for Kids
1 small loaf Italian bread, in 16slices, or 1 large loaf Italian bread, in 8 slices and then sliced in half
4 tsp canola or olive oil
2 cloves garlic
1-2 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
1/4 cup pesto (store-bought or homemade, I won't tell)
1/2 lb fresh mozzarella (sliced), or 1 cup cup shredded part-skim mozzarella
1/4 cup pizza sauce, any kind
salt and pepper
1. Crush and peel the cloves of garlic by smashing with the side of a knife. Place them in a very small bowl with the 4 tsp of oil. Microwave on HIGH for 25 seconds, or until the garlic becomes fragrant.
2. Using a pastry brush, brush the garlic oil on each slice of bread.
3. Place the sliced bread, oil side down, on a large cutting board. Begin assembling the sandwiches.
4. For the four Tomato, Basil, and Mozzarella panini, begin by spreading 8 of the slices of bread with pesto (about 1 tsp on each slice). Then, sprinkle four slices of bread with the diced plum tomatoes. Cover with the sliced or shredded mozzarella. Then sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place another pesto-smothered slice of bread on top and close.
5. For the pizza panini, spread four of the remaining slices of bread with pizza sauce. Top with the remaining mozzarella cheese, and close with the remaining bread.
6. Use a panini press to press and toast for 5-8 minutes. Alternately, you can use a non-stick skillet or grill pan. Just use a second pan topped with a few cans to weight the sandwiches.