Monday, October 25, 2010

Brown Butter Banana Muffins

Hello, hello!  I still exist!  Things have been wild here, chez The Cook and The Dishwasher.  We may be buying a house...as in we have a real, life, accepted offer.  Hopefully the rest of the process will continue to go smoothly, because I am really excited about tripling my kitchen space so I can churn out my yummy things!

So these muffins are among the best I've ever made, and maybe you've noticed...I make a lot of muffins.  And they are very simple and quick as a jiff to get into the oven.  The nutty brown butter flavor is a perfect complement for the sweet bananas and honey and agave nectar.  I used my mini-muffin pan to keep the portion size under control., but to tell you the truth...these make me want to go out and buy a jumbo muffin pan.  And just maybe I will soon have the cabinet space to justify such a purchase!

Brown Butter Banana Muffins
yeilds 12 regular sized muffins, or 23 mini-muffins
from 5 Ingredient Fix, by Claire Robinson

Ingredients:
1 stick butter
4 very ripe bananas
1/3 cup raw agave syrup or honey (I used a blend)
1 large egg
1 3/4 cup self-rising flour

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.  Meanwhile, put the stick of butter in a small saucepan over medium heat and melt.  Continue cooking, stirring occaisonally, until the milk solids turn a golden brown and smell nutty.  Remove from the heat and cool.
2. Mash the four bananas with a potato masher until they liquifiy (or leave a few chunks, if you like chunks like I do!).  Add in the egg and agavey syrup (or honey) and stir until well-blended.  Pour in the butter, and whisk until thoroughly combined. 
3. Add in the self-rising flour, and stir until just combined.  Do not over mix. 
4. Coat a muffin tin with cooking spray.  Pour the batter evenly into the cups.  Bake for 25 minutes for regular sized muffins, and 18-20 minutes for mini-muffins.  The tops should be slightly golden and should spring back to the touch.
5.  Cool for 5 minutes in the muffin pan, and then remove to a wire rack.  Serve warm or at room temperature.

14 comments:

  1. Nothing beats baking (or cooking) in your own kitchen! Especially a big one. Good luck with closing on your house!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you used agave instead of sugar. I think it is a great substitute and I am always on the lookout for more recipes that use agave!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a little one who loves muffins and loves bananas- I'm sure he'd be crazy for these! The brown butter must really make these something special, and I love how simple these are to make! Good luck with the house purchase!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow! I love banana bread, but add in some brown butter and turn it into a muffin and I'll probably eat 10! Good luck with the house!! :) :)

    Sues

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fingers crossed for you and the house (and kitchen!) These muffins look fantastic. Thanks for sharing even while you're busy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope that everything works out with the house. How very exciting for you two! I will be keeping my fingers crossed as well. These muffins sound great. But anything with browned butter catches my eye! Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this banana muffins. It looks cute and sounds yummy :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. oooh, congrats on the house! i hope it all works out for you (it will!). would love to see pics of your new kitchen - i'm funny like that. these look absolutely yummy, and i have seriously GOT to invest in a mini muffin pan. glad you're back!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You had me at browned butter! I love it and it makes SUCH a difference!

    Nice on the house, hope it works out!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Brown butter + bananas = heavenly! Love this combo! Good luck with your house - that is really great news!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A bigger kitchen and more cupboard space would be lovely for you! These muffins look great - so simple! And we always have a need to take care of the last over ripe bananas in a bunch...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like watching 5 Ingredient Fix and all the simple recipes. And I love banana muffins! Using brown butter is genius.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have never made anything with "brown butter"... the muffins look great!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I drool over anything with brown butter! And congrats on the house - so exciting!

    ReplyDelete