Sunday, July 11, 2010

Apple, Celery, and Nut Rice Salad


This dish is the kind of thing that I consider to be a staple during a heat wave.  And chances are, if you're on the East Coast these days, you've got a few complaints about the heat.  When it's hot like this, I like to make a grain salad early in the morning, when I can stand to cook the grains.  While the grains are cooking, I chop and dice.  Then I whirl everything together, toss in the fridge, and cease to worry about dinner for the rest of the day.  Grain salads like this make a great light dinner, but also work just as well as side dishes to grilled chicken or sandwiches.

This salad is also a great make-ahead dish to bring to a summer potluck.  I've made it for bridal showers before, and most recently made it for the luncheon that I threw for my bridesmaid's luncheon the day before the wedding.  Yes, that's right, this is that rare kind of dish that you can manage to entertain with a day before your wedding!

I've adapted the recipe from Jeanne Lemlin's Quick Vegetarian Pleasures to lighten it up a little and to make it a little more budget friendly.  But let me not miss out on the chance to talk about one of my favorite cookbooks!  The recipes in Quick Vegetarian Pleasures are great -- truly quick, easy, healthy, and delicious.  This is a great cookbook for people who are just trying to eat a little less meat.  The recipes are not overly heavy on meat substitutes, but instead rely largely on whole grains and vegetables.  They are kid-friendly as well - I've used the lasagna recipe with my class (I teach pre-kindergarten) and it was a hit.

So I make two versions of the dressing for this salad: one that I've lightened up a bit, and one that is higher in fat.  I tend to make the higher in fat one for company, but personally, I like both!  As for the nuts, I've used walnuts, pecans, and cashews.  There is ample crunch from the celery that you could easily leave the nuts out if you have an aversion or allergy to them.  Last time I made this, we had, unfortunately, just salted cashews in the pantry.  I went ahead and used them with great success, but left the salt out.  Also, this recipe doubles easily to feed a crowd -- but when doing so, I do not double the recipe for the dressing!

Apple, Celery, and Nut Rice Salad

Ingredients:
1 cup uncooked brown rice (to save time, you can easily use the equivalent in quick-cooking brown rice)
1 cup chopped nuts (try pecans, walnuts, or cashews)
2-3 celery ribs, diced
4 scallions, thinly sliced
1 cup raisins
1 medium red apple, cored and diced (I leave the skin on, but you could peel it to serve to children)
Grated rind of 1 lemon

For higher-fat dressing:
3 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
2 garlic cloves, pressed
1/2 tsp salt
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1/3 cup olive oil (canola works fine as well)

For lower-fat dressing:
3 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup orange juice
4 tsp olive oil
2 garlic cloves, pressed
1/2 Tbsp honey
1/2 tsp salt
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste

Directions:
1. Cook rice according to package directions.
2. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the nuts, celery, scallions, raisins, apple, and lemon rind in a large bowl.
3. In a small bowl (or a jar with a tight-fitting lid), combine the ingredients for the dressing recipe that you are using.  If you're using a jar (I actually use a Tupperware with a screw-top lid), you can just shake the heck out of it.  If you're using a bowl, whisk to emulsify. 
4.  Pour half of the dressing on the apple-nut mixture, and reserve the other half.
5. When the rice is done, let it cool a bit.  (The key here is that you don't want it to cook the apples or celery!)  When I am in a rush (which is usually), I put it in the freezer for a bit to cool it quicker.  Once it's cooled a bit, combine with the apple-nut mixture and stir-well.  Let stand for an hour before serving.  Since I usually make this a bit ahead of time, I refrigerate it until I need it.  Toss with the reserved dress shortly before serving.

3 comments:

  1. I think that cashews would be great in this dish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This recipe looks delish! And I can eat it because it's gluten free! I wonder how it would taste with quinoa...or wild rice...(otherwise known as I have a lot of quinoa and wild rice on hand)...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Smy -- Jeanne Lemlin's original recipe calls for wild rice actually, so I would try that first!

    ReplyDelete