These are simple, wholesome muffins, packed with chunks of fresh apples. I am a huge fan of muffins, but usually I end up eating them alone. My husband liked these so much though that I actually had to share the leftovers! They are good and filling to eat for breakfast with a piece of fruit. My usual complaint about muffins is that after I eat one, I'm hungry an hour later. So I consider these quite a success!
yields 12 muffins
recipe adapted from The Simple Art of Eating Well
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour or white whole wheat flour
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
2 large eggs
1 cup buttermilk
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
2 Tbsp butter, melted
2 Tbsp canola oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 large apples, peeled, cored, and diced into 1/3 inch cubes
1. Preheat oven to 400 degress Fahrenheit, and coat the cups of a muffin pan with cooking spray.
2. Whisk together the whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, ground cinnamon, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl.
3.Whisk together the eggs, buttermilk, brown sugar, melted butter, canola oil, and vanilla extract in a medium bowl.
4. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients in the large bowl. Stir in the wet mix, until well combined. Do not overmix.
5. Add in the apple chunks, stir until combined.
6. Pour the batter into the muffin cups, until each is 3/4 full.
7. Bake for 22 - 25 minutes, until golden brown and a wooden skewer inserted to the center of a muffin come out dry.