Sunday, September 18, 2011

Fall Entertaining Part 1: A Family Sunday Brunch

We have lots of entertaining plans this fall.  I love entertaining.  What can I say?  I had a subscription for Martha Stewart Living when I was 15, and I loved every issue.

I thought it would be fun to keep track of some of my menus, and it's helpful for me to have them to plan for future events.

This was a cozy brunch for four, very impromptu.  We served:

-- Apple Cider
-- Sliced Watermelon
-- Apple Muffins (recipe coming soon)
-- Buckwheat Pancakes (from a mix), with apple butter, maple syrup, and honey
-- French-style Scrambled Eggs with Mediterranean Herbs
-- Molasses Ginger Cookies (recipe coming soon)
-- Caramel Apples (store-bought)

I think that the biggest hit was actually the eggs, and I am sorry to say there was not much of a recipe involved.  I make them the way the Barefoot Contessa does in Barefoot in Paris, and I've done so often enough that I don't use a recipe.  It's scrambled eggs, after all -- just a bit of this and a bit of that.  This is pretty much the technique ... low and slow, and I cook them until they resemble risotto.   I tossed in a piece of Laughing Cow cheese in Garlic & Herb, but didn't tell my husband because he would not have loved the eggs so much if he knew there was creamy cheese in them!  I also threw in some of one of my favorite products in the world: McCormick's Perfect Pinch.  I love, love, love those herb and spice blends, and now am crushing on the Mediterranean blend.

5 comments:

  1. What a great selection of food for your brunch! Can’t wait to see your recipe for the apple muffins!
    Ps: thanks for swinging by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love entertaining but actually have never had people over for brunch. It just sort of stresses me out cooking eggs in quantities and being up early to cook up a feast. I am not a morning person at all. lol
    Your eggs sound delicious (the addition of Laughing Cow is genius!) and the cookies look to-die for!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I miss entertaining. After the arrival of our 2 super active boys, entertaining is a rarity. Love the spread 

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooooh, can I have a birthday brunch this year??

    ReplyDelete