Thursday, August 18, 2011

Brown Sugar Meringues

So, first things first: I really love meringues.  This is convenient for me, since, as far as sweets go, they are generally relatively guiltless.  Also, if you happen to have a sister who cannot eat gluten who is coming to stay with you for the weekend, she can eat meringues too.  Double bonus.  (Though, I am concerned that I may not have any of these left by then, ahem.)

These are fabulous.  The brown sugar yields a caramel/butterscotch type flavor.  My husband and I agree that they taste like toasted marshmallows.  They come to the perfect crunchy texture.  And...each meringue (if you get the full 30 out of the recipe) has only 11 calories.  For real, people, for real.  Plus, you need all of four ingredients that are probably sitting in your kitchen right now!

A few cook's notes: I baked these on a humid, rainy day.  I followed the recipe through, baking them in a slow oven for 75 minutes and then propping the door oven while they cooled.  I cheated and touched one, and I could tell...all was not well in meringue world.  They felt mushy and under-baked.  So I put them up for another 20 minutes, and then left the oven door shut while they cooled.  Perfection!

Brown Sugar Meringues
adapted from Cook Yourself Thin Faster, by Lauren Deen
yields 24-30 meringues


Ingredients:
3 egg whites
1/2 cup light brown sugar
pinch of salt
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 225 Fahrenheit.
2. Line two or three baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking sheets.  (Aluminum foil will work in a pinch, but is not ideal.)
3. Use a large stand mixer (with the whisk attachment) or a hand-held mixer to beat the eat whites and salt on high speed until soft peaks form.  Begin to add the brown sugar, adding a few spoonfuls at a time, until the mixture is shiny and holds stiff beaks (about 3-5 minutes).  Add the vanilla extract, and beat to combine.
4. Using two tablespoons, drop the meringue onto the baking sheets, about two inches apart.  Alternatively, to make a pretty "kiss" shape, you can use a large ziploc bag with a corner cut off to pipe the meringue.
5. Bake for about 1 hour and 15 minutes.
6. Turn the oven off, but leave the cookies in the oven for an additional hour.
7. To store, wrap in aluminum foil or store in a tin.  Storage in a plastic or glass container with make the meringues soggy or mushy.

8 comments:

  1. Yum! I've made chocolate and almond meringues but never brown sugar ones. They sound tasty! America's Test Kitchen Feed just had a mini article on meringues.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love anything with brown sugar... I'm making these... perhaps today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh these are my fav! thank you for stopping by my blog and for sharing this with us. ps: you could use a box grater for the mangoes, just make sure they are a little firm in texture:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never tried brown sugar meringes but I love that idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never tried this. I would love to try. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Funny because I also love meringues and I love anything with brown sugar, so we have a definite winner here!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also love meringues, but I don't think I've ever had them with brown sugar. These sound delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never had any luck with meringues. Granted, I did try to bake them ten years ago, so maybe it's time to try again! Great recipe!

    ReplyDelete