This is what I threw together for dinner: warm whole-wheat tortillas with gooey melted sharp cheddar cheese around a sweet, tangy, spicy mixture of red barbecue sauce, pulled chicken breast, and sweet onions and corn. This is not, by any means, made with authentic barbecued pulled chicken. But is quick, fairly healthy, and delicious, especially to husbands.
Pulled Barbecue Chicken Burritos
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion, sliced
1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 2 large breasts)
1 1/2 - 2 cups red barbecue sauce, or other favorite barbecue sauce
1 1/2 cups corn kernels, fresh or frozen
4 whole wheat tortillas, 8-10 inches in diameter
1/3 cup shredded low-fat sharp cheddar cheese
1. Heat the olive oil over medium-high heat in a non-stick skillet.
2. Add the onion slices and the chicken. Turn the heat up to high.
3. Brown the chicken on both sides, cooking for 2-3 minutes on each side.
4. Add the barbecue sauce, and reduce heat to medium low.
5. Simmer the chicken breasts and barbecue sauce. Turn the chicken after 10-15 minutes, and cook until no longer pink in the center.
6. Remove the chicken to a cutting board. Using two forks, shred the chicken. Meanwhile, turn the heat down to low, and add the corn kernels. Return the shredded chicken to the pan so that it can remain warm.
7. Meanwhile, wrap the tortillas in a damp paper towel. Microwave for 30 seconds.
8. Place each tortilla on the serving plate, and sprinkle shredded cheese on each. Microwave each plate for 25 seconds, until cheese is melted.
9. Spoon about 2/3 cup of the chicken and vegetable mixture into the center of each tortilla, and wrap up and serve.