Monday, August 15, 2011

Giada DeLaurentiis's Fresh Pasta



Well, I've done it.  I've made my own pasta.  And it turns out that it's not that hard.  It always sounded really impossible.  Compared to picking up a box of Barilla and throwing it into boiling water, this is considerably more difficult.  But, all in all, it just takes a bit of time and a lot of muscle power.  A lot.  My biceps are sore, and it's not really socially acceptable to say, "Uh, I'm so sore, I made bucatini last night."  Though I do like to think that there was some real neturalization of the caloric intake generally involved when eating pasta.  Tell me you agree.

I used Giada DiLaurentiis's recipe from Everyday Pasta.  It's not otherwise online, and I didn't make any changes, so I don't feel comfortable sharing it, but do pick up this lovely little book! 

This is my pasta maker -- it was super on sale at Williams-Sonoma last weekend.  The pasta was incredible.  I tasted a bit before I sauced it, and it had so much flavor!  I used it for a cinnamon-scented carbonara, and my husband has since had to bar me from entering the kitchen because the leftovers are calling me.  Loudly.  Next time, though, I'm saving my homemade pasta for a light little garlic, olive oil treatment so that I can really taste the pasta. 


4 comments:

  1. Impressive! Homemade pasta definitely seems a little labor intensive but sounds so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My aunt used to make homemade pasta and it was delicious. How much fun to make it with a new pasta maker!! I agree, if I were to make it I would just put olive oil and some garlic on it so I could really appreciate the pasta I just made!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It makes such a difference- I was so sad when I had to leave my pasta maker in storage when we moved to London. And I feel exactly the same way when I make sabayons. I figure all that whisking gives me plenty of license to eat as much as I want (pst, just found your blog and love it)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always wanted to make my own pasta. I need to find a Williams Sonoma super sale too. This looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete